Wednesday 26 December 2018

Of Darkness and Warmth

For a change,
Let me write of the good times.
And rescue poetry,
From the dungeons of gloom
Where it is often forced,
to be forlorn and sad.

Let me write today
About the birds chirping outside
Despite the smog in the air;
finding their happiness,
a little above
The uncaring human world.

And write too, of the sunlight
flitting through my window
Warming the body,
the mind and the heart;
Softening my sharp edges.

And of course,
Life itself.
Coursing through my veins
as through the birds high above.
This concrete jungle of a city.
Has not life created it
and lives within?

Eros and Thanatos
Darkness and light.
All need recognition
All, acceptance.
And perhaps also, appreciation?

Let me then today,
chat happily
Of the lonesome tree on the busy pavement
As of the lilting humanity behind the walls,
that yet finds happiness.
And of the two homeless people
sharing a smoke
And laughing in the Sun;
for a moment, entirely in the present.

No comments:

Post a Comment